Re: What the Dragon Said

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:53:14 -0600 (CST)

Friends,

> From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>

is on top of things.

>> > Unfortunately, I do not know how to manage the end of the search.
>> My
>> > players are very related to Kallyr, and they will probably stay
>> with
>> > her until the end, and then, enter with her into the dragon...

>> > And they will probably ask what Orlaron said to the dragon.
>> > But i don't know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Well, I think we all know the general principle, don't we? There's a
> thing called the Dragonrise due to happen in 1625, when a Dragon Rises
> under the almost-built new Reaching Moon temple and eats most of the
> Lunar army. This has got to be preparation for that. Minaryth explains
> the general idea on p50, so re-read that.
>
> But details? We won't know that until Dragonrise is out.

Myself, I rarely answer the players' questions of this sort. It ruins the fun of when they finally see. I always have long-term things going on, and if players ask, I say, "Which character is asking, and who?" And in this case, Kallyr and Orlaront aren't talking. Why would they give away the biggest secret they have?

> What they're
> probably doing here is setting up the plot for the next book. And even
> if it's finalised, giving it away before publication isn't going to
> happen.

For the Narrator: The dragon agrees that if it gets its head back it will come alive and do what Kallry asks for one minute or so.

> So what do you tell your players? Unless they speak Draconic themselves,

This above is the real KEY. They probably don't know draconic, and so even if they eavesdrop *can't* know, and so I didn't bother telling in text what was said. But Jane is right about it being for the Dragonrise deal.

I don't imagine that the average player characters are really close enough to Kallyr at this stage to be this close, either. YGWV.

Finally, for them to go along they have to overcome their Fear Dragons, which all player characters (except Kralori) have. Hence, the final reason that I didn't put the conversation in there.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc., publisher of HeroQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha. P.O. Box 272914 Concord, CA 94527
See our site at <www.HeroQuest-rpg.com>.