RE: Working Up

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 07:52:02 -0000

> made an interesting comment, and I want to bonce from it to
> solicit some discussion. I want to watch it, not answer your
> questions about it.

I'll skip most of it for now - I think most people know my views on much of this.

> The *Sartar Rising!* series starts with normal beginning
> Orlanthi who, through the scenarios, have the opportunity to
> work themselves up through the ranks to be close to Kallyr.
> If they play properly, they WILL get close to her, ...
>
> Let me even warn you: you know that KoS has two dates for her
> dying. ..., by that time, have revealed enough to you

> So, I have this long and intricate story working out (in
> publication too slowly I admit, ...

And there, I think, is the problem. Let us assume that we have players who want to be close to Kallyr and have some effect on her. We agree on that. The story-line plan appears to be that they might get granted this, as a special favour, in about 4 books from the start of the series. That's what, a minimum of four real-life years? The campaign probably isn't going to last that long - a lot don't.

Or, they could write it into their 100 words and have it from day 1.

Which do you think they're going to do?

And what narrator, seeing that on a character sheet, is not going to rub their hands in glee, say "yes, but..." and start inventing plot hooks?

If the narrator does not have at least the general background about her to do this, then they will almost certainly end up clashing with stuff that gets published in years to come. Such is life. The answer is not to tie them down, it's to give them the information in the first place. Keep it secret from the PCs, by all means. Possibly also keep it secret from the players (this isn't the same thing). But never deceive the narrator.