Re: HQ followup for kids?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:49:19 -0800

Rob

>2. Is there anything in the core HeroQuest books that would merit a
>PG-13 or R-rating if it appeared in the movie theater? I don't want to
>suggest that kids buy a book and then have their enraged parents come
>after me with pitchforks. I know that some of the campaign supplements
>have stuff that's not appropriate for kids, but what about the main HQ
>book or the player's book?

I'd have no qualms about giving HeroQuest to *my* 10-year-old, but illos like the Esrolia Homeland make it harder to give to someone else's. Like always, it really depends on the kid.

I also think 288 pages is too thick for most people. Hero's Book is better, but sadly it's not complete enough to play from (it doesn't contain keywords).

Ian

>I don't really think there is a RPG out there that I'd really push to
>the pre-teen crowd, mostly because I think most games are clearly
>written to an older set.

The closest I've seen was Prince Valiant. I agree that HQ is a fine game for kids, but it's designed for an adult audience.

--

David Dunham