Elemental associaltions

From: John Galloway <yuskim1_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 03:56:17 -0000

Hear, hear!

> And anyway I have a vague idea that the dull orange that's
> "currently" the Storm colour was originally a much brighter red,
> before someone changed things

'Orange'? Is that from the Hepherones Philosophy (Page 66, Masters of Luck and Death)?

Were things simpler in the old (RQ2) days or is my (selective) memory just playing tricks on me? As I recall there were two non-elemental metals [Bronze, Iron](1) and five elemental metals, each of which had three associations as shown below...

Lead ---------> Darkness .. Black .. Insects
Sea-metal(2) -> Water ..... Blue ... Fish
Copper -------> Earth ..... Green .. Reptiles
Gold ---------> Fire/Sky .. Yellow . Birds
Silver? ------> Air/Storm ... ? .... Mammals

Notes
 (1) Bronze was not an alloy of anything. It was mined directly from the ground. While Iron was (originally) an alchemical creation of the Mostali.
 (2) At least that's what my old GM used to call it. There were two forms: Solid = Aluminum, Liquid = Quicksilver.

There was no Zinc, Tin, Brass, and so forth (except, perhaps in Mostali labs).

>From memory it was never clear what the color associated with Air/
Storm was (white--clouds?, grey--storm clouds?, etc.) and even Air's metal seemed a little unsteady.

Now normally the change from then to now ('Gregged'?) wouldn't bother me but in *my* Glorantha I want...

  1. a nice, seemly self-consistent system which people will be loath to break just to accomodate new-commers (like a Lunar element), and
  2. each of the elemental metals to have a couple of 'cool' effects when they are refined (as per RQ page 78) but I can't think of any for either Copper (earth) or Silver (Air/Storm). Any thoughts or have I lurcher off into Digest territory?

Thanks,