Re: Prophecy

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:10:21 -0000

> I've got a quick question. I know there is Kev the Visionary
among the Ernaldan
> subcults which seems to deal with prophecy. But there is a
prophecy day among the
> Lhankor Mhy holy days and yet there is no subcult nor any magic
associated with
> prophecy it seems. I certainly think they would do prophecy based
on old books and
> lists of omens and things like that. (Even recording old Kev the
visionary visions.) But
> anyone have any ideas on LM prophecy magic?

Prophecies and omens appear frequently in my game - however, they are a narrator device for me, not a rulesy thing. For instance, here are my Prophecy Day omens for the Colymar read during Sacred Time 1613-1614:

"Chaos gnaws us from within
The Emperor threatens us from without
The red woman shall defend her post at the old world's doom For as long as she can."

I use other omens as well - for instance, on Ancestor Day 1613, here's how the players' recently deceased kinsmen cursed them (from David Dunham's writeup):

"Arinstand Orlgardsson was the ancestor who entered the stead, with the death-wounds he'd taken at the Battle of Hofstaring's Flood. After eating, Arinstand recited a poem:
Braggart trickster, you must be of Valind's blood, not mine Beard-rubbing with the Deceiving One shall not bring you the Three Staves.
Only the reign of strife-clouds shall cleanse the poison blood. Kinstrife shall come from your Moon-Driven Folly"

Yep. Omens, prophecies and other such things are great narrator devices - but they aren't things that should be too rulesy.

Jeff