Re: Re: Prophecy

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:32:13 -0500

On 18 Mar 2005 at 18:10, Jeff Richard wrote:

> Prophecies and omens appear frequently in my game - however, they
> are a narrator device for me, not a rulesy thing. For instance,
> here are my Prophecy Day omens for the Colymar read during Sacred
> Time 1613-1614:

Yeah, I tend to use Prophecy as a narrator device. I would do so even in the case of Kev the Visionary devotees. But it seems an odd omission to me for LM to not have prophecy more directly mentioned.

> "Chaos gnaws us from within
> The Emperor threatens us from without
> The red woman shall defend her post at the old world's doom
> For as long as she can."

I've been trying to put together the prophecy that my player messed up that ended up in her being exiled for kinstrife. It is about the destruction of the Kultain. I may have to steal some ideas from here.

> I use other omens as well - for instance, on Ancestor Day 1613,
> here's how the players' recently deceased kinsmen cursed them (from
> David Dunham's writeup):
>
> "Arinstand Orlgardsson was the ancestor who entered the stead, with
> the death-wounds he'd taken at the Battle of Hofstaring's Flood.
> After eating, Arinstand recited a poem:
> Braggart trickster, you must be of Valind's blood, not mine
> Beard-rubbing with the Deceiving One shall not bring you the Three
> Staves.
> Only the reign of strife-clouds shall cleanse the poison blood.
> Kinstrife shall come from your Moon-Driven Folly"
>
> Yep. Omens, prophecies and other such things are great narrator
> devices - but they aren't things that should be too rulesy.

I'm not concerned about the rulesy side. Else I would have asked on the rules list. :-)

More just a question about what LM prophecy (which is mentioned specifically) might look like. (Since the only other one mentioned is Kev.)

LC