Oaths (was: Plain Sartarite/English)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 00:08:31 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Jane Williams wrote:

> No, written documents won't be all that common. But deliberately
> complicated speeches and oaths? Designed so as to be impressive by their
> incomprehensibility? I'm sure LM types would do it. And I can see some
> Humakti being very, very careful about the *exact* wording of any
> promise they made (and others thinking they're a bunch of wimps!)

Luckily the gamer I have playing the Household of Death humakti really get's into the celtic Sartarite spirit with this.

When the fifteen-year-old faced the dragon guardian of the Raven Banner (a somewhat birdlike dream-dragon, with black feathers) the dragon was amused and asked something like:

"And if I don't give up the banner, you'll do what exactly?"

Gerlef ansvered: "First I'll blind you, then I'll cripple you, and only after you ask me, will I grant you the release of Death"

(Very impressive, thought I, but the player later told me he had instantly regretted saying it. Of course Gerlef, being a fanatic-of-a- humakti had to then do exactly what he had promised)

To cut a long story short, very much against my expectations he then proceeded to do exactly what he had promised. Gerlef dug out the dragons eyes with his sword, one after the other, Damaged the tendons in one of the dragons hind-legs while ducking it's charge, and then asked asked (rather battered himself) "are you ready for my gift now?"

The Dragon spat "try it!", and charged him again, and was killed neatly with a sword thrown through his black heart.

  ***

So yes, one propably should think about one's oaths and promises, but boy do I love those impulsive Heortlings and their oaths :)

I bet the player also wouldn't have it any other way...

        -Adept