Heroplane from different viewpoints

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:18:43 +0000 (GMT)

On the subject of questors encountering other questors on the HeroPlane: do they all see the same thing, or not?

Suppose Our Hero faces a contest in which he and two opponents must compete to beat a certain hazard. Racing over a mountain pass, say. He's a theist, the other two are a spiritist and an essence user.

Do they all see the same thing? If not, in what way does it tend to differ?

My tentative thoughts would be that each sees what they expect to see, which will not be the same. The essence user will see a more abstract world than the other two, for instance. They might even all see the challenge as something different - maybe the Pentan spiritist is seeing it as a horse race, the Orlanthi sees the icy mountain pass, and the essence user is crossing a desert. The basic theme is the same, the details of the story differ.

If they have a conversation, will this difference of perception come out, or will the words be "translated" in some way so that they make sense in both versions of the story?

Or am I looking at this completely wrong?