Re: Myths of Hu the Sword?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:48:54 +0000 (GMT)

> I got the impression from Storm Tribe that Hu the
> Sword is a subcult, not a
> herocult, since he is the most commonly seen form of
> Humakti.

The distinction between the two was always vague, it has to be said - and several other "subcults" seem to be based around people who were originally human and have a documented history. P100: "nothing distinguishes Humakt's subcults from his hero cults".

> So I don't know
> if I would buy that Hu is a Heortling and had a
> family. It could just be one
> of those "our god lived here" things.

Could be. At the very least, we can say he's of Heortling cultural origins.

> (Or, like Humakti do, he had a family and then
> renounced them.)

Also could be - or maybe he re-sheathed?

> So, what is Hu's story in the LBQ?

> Is he mentioned in anything other than "an
> enemy Issaries had to face"? (I certainly think it
> makes sense to have them be the same entity.)

ST p 109.
"During his travels, he faced a terrible foe that confounded his efforts to trade and comunicate. Hu is called the "nine Silences" because of the powers that he used to attack Issaries. His name, a breathy puff, is the only sound he ever makes, and it has a thousand variations to carry his magic."

That isn't LBQ, it's earlier. This bit's LBQ, though:

And also:
p112 "Secret Way Day" Wild day, luck week, sacred time. Issaries found the secret way that allowed them to pass from the trackless Underworld into the Hall of the Dead. He faced Hu's final silence, and learned how to speak without sound. This confounded Hu, who could not exist in the presence of communication. Issaries spoke to the dead, and they gathered around Hu and made him a part of them again."

Note that Hu is the subcult with "taciturn" as a virtue!

There's also the gifts/geases to give hints, and he has two of them. The "combat blessing" gives +5 sword skill against "never use one type of non-sword". And the Sword blessing blesses a sword against refusing healing from a non-Humakti.