Re: Re: Household Goddesses

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 07:22:17 -0700

YGWV Quoting donald_at_...:

> I rather think Arnna keeps stuff Harst doesn't know about. Not the
> main clan resources but bits and pieces that individual families
> put to one side for the future. This has probably increased
> significantly since the Lunar occupation since it is the reeve
> who the Lunars use to determine clan taxes.

That's correct. It's the difference between individual househodl and the clan.

> To an extent we are dealing with overlapping functions here.

Yes, as far as keeping stuff. But otherwise, their functions difer.

> Both
> the Storm Tribe and the Earth Tribe have gods/goddesses for every
> function.

Every function that is important socially. Neither of them, for instance, has a mechanic deity

> One clan usually appoints a follower of Harst as reeve
> while another appoints a follower of Arnna and a third switches
> depending on who is available.

Probably not. (exceptions exist of course) But in fact, a clan would probably have someone who is "the harst," though it's extremely unlikely that he or she would actualy be a devotee of the cult.
Neither clan nor household would probably have either a devotee OR initiate of Arnna. Most clans just don't have enough people to allow someone to specialize that much. The player character of such would be the truely exceptional individual. Heck, she might be the first devotee EVER! No wonder there is no list of affinities and feats!

> Only a really hidebound clan
> would insist on a woman reeve being Vinga Harst or a male reeve
> being Nandan Arnna.

I dont't think either Don or Roland thinks there is truth in that statement, but I do want to seize the moment to address something implied here.

Issaries is not gender specific, nor is Arnna specificlly female. I don't even think a hidebound clan would require such. Furthermore, this seems to imply that membership in one cult requires membership in another unrelated one, which doesn't happen anywhere that I know about (subcults are not unrelated.)

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford