RE: Re: Avatar: the Last Airbender

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:48:39 -0500

>From: "markmohrfield" <markmohrfield_at_...>
>
>As for visual inspiration; so far I've seen Aang use Blow Down Foe,
>Leap Over Obstacle, Run up Cliff(well, walls actually), Burst of
>Speed, Aerial Maneuvering, and Blow Out Fire.

Well, see, this is the problem. The leaping, and going up walls, and aerial maneuvering, etc effects are always new and slightly different in use. Basically if you want to make each such maneuver a feat, then you're going to have a tremendously long list. Far more than you usually see in an affinity, I think. He's not emulating specific acts of a god, he's creating new moves on the fly all the time it seems to me. It all comes down to using one really broad "Bend Air" ability to do...well an amazing number of things. I think that's the best part of the show, in fact, how creative the writers are with all of the things each element can do.

My favorite stunt may still be him riding on the ball of air (actually you wonder if he can only do this in the game, because it would seem to be very useful otherwise). One thing that's interesting about his ability - it's pretty clear that he cannot fly. With his staff, he can glide as far as he needs to, with the ball he can hover around quickly over the ground. But he can't stay aloft indefinitely, apparently (unlike Appa, his riding beast).

I think that these abilities are defined more by what they can't do than by what they can.

Mike