On Dwarves and the North of Sartar

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:58:06 -0400

 Having moved and somewhat settled into the Boston area, I have started a HQ game with the two 13-year old boys of some friends of mine. I decided to stick them in a Heortling clan, and start with the more limited approach to the world, letting them build it as they go.
(They really enjoyed building their clan with the online clan
generator.)

My main questions are whether there is much of a known Dwarf presence in the North of Sartar outside of Dwarf Run. (IT seems not, which seems to suit fine, but I am curious if there are some other known bits in GAG.)

Also, I know travel times were discussed before. Was any conclusion reached on general travel times in Storm Season in the Donalf flats/Alda Chur region? Obviously, I can always make it as long as I want, but what IS a reasonable travel rate for 4 people on horseback travelling at a steady clip? A basic figure I could work off of would be helpful in setting the feel.

Thanks,
LC

Some background for those who like such things:

 Not surprisingly, as players always do, they immediately started wanting exceptions to the basic outline I set for them. (Good PCs are they.)

 So we have a Puma Person who actually transforms to a giant alynx. He vaguely remembers his parents, but was found abandoned in the woods, living on his own, when he was 5 or so. He has been viewed as "Blessed of Yinkin" by the Clan, since he can effectively perform the cult secret naturally. He has initiated to that god, although he still carries a ring from his parents that seems to offer spirit magic.
(In my Glorantha, Puma people are heard of, but fairly mysterious, so
while there is talk of a race of cat-people, no one knows many details.)

The other PC is a Grazer whose entire clan/bloodline (I am unclear on Grazer ideas about that) were massacred by Dwarves about 2 years ago. He Galloped Across Sky to escape and ended up on the hunting grounds claimed by their clan. (They haven'tbeen able to agrtee on a clan name.) Wounded and weak and horseless, the Yinkin initiate found him. This Grazer arrived just as there was a small plague of darkness spirits. Having better spirit magic, he helped banish those spirits. However, In accepting help and effectively living among Vendref, he considers himself ritually tainted now. His spirits have not left him, so he feels he can recover. He has decided that the only way to unquestioningly be ready to re-enter Grazer society is to be chosen by a Goldeneye. He also feels he won't be ready to do that until he has properly repaid his debt of honour to his Yinkini friend.

With that as the basis, I put them in storm season at the tribal moot and took the idea from the HQ rulebook of a potter needing some white clay. They went to Voriof's pool nearby to get some, and there they found a Jolanti gathering the purest white clay from depths they couldn't get to. They tussled with it and stole the clay.

The clan was worried by this and instructed them to find out if this creature was of Dwarven origin. This wasn't hard, as it was tracking the clay and heading (slowly) towards the steading/village. They confronted it with the help of some other clan mates and destroyed it. The chief has now sent them with the clay (which they figure is somehow important in the making of Dwarves) to return it to the Dwarves to prevent reprisals.

Everyne knows "the Dwarves" live at Dwarf Run, so they are headed there. I intend them to meet clans both pro and anti-lunar, as well as the wonderful world of Glorantha as they go.

(Odd side note, the Yinkini is actually playing in a RQ III game not
set in Glorantha that has been going on for years here, so he keeps recognizing little elements.)