Re: Re: Some Parameters for HeroQuesting

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:43:56 -0800

But not that silly really. I wondered a similar thing recently about Dormal. Can one go on a heroquest and be Dormal or do you have to be Dormal-being-someone-else?

Someone else who opened the oceans...or did something similar, I suspect, which Dormal exploited. That makes logical sense.

I don't think Dormal was "being someone else", I think he found a whole new way of doing things. (a *very* rare thing in Glorantha!)

The problem I have in game terms is that you then either have (1) to ignore the fact that your heroes who are following Dormal, or following their ancestors� path, in History are actually following someone else too or (2) to address that gaping hole in the story by attributing it to some God or another. I don�t find either especially appealing.

Frankly, I don't think there *is* a Heroquest for Dormal. He's got magic that works, and is teachable in almost any magical system (mentioned at least as: Common Magic talent, Animism, Sorcery, Theism). I think the *best* you can do is "practice Quest" level stuff - travel around the mundane world and do the same things he did. I don't think he really "exists" in the Otherworlds. At that, he is *definitely* a wierdo. (You might be able to quest to prove that he exists, but *I* think that that's close to Godlearnerism).

RR