Re: Vingans

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:41:27 -0000

> > 2. Lack of interesting female characters. 6 of the 15 basic
occupational
> > keywords, and half the advanced are not available to women using
thunder
> > rebels. These include 'hunter', 'skald' and 'lawspeaker' - all
interesting
> > characters that cannot be played with the character generation
rules in
> > Thunder Rebels.
> > ...Adding Vinga would have opened up ALL the occupations to women.
>
> And then from Greg:
> > Please let me help lay this to rest.
> > Vingan initiates can join any Orlanth subcult.
>
> So the keywords Graham says are closed to women, are open as long
> as the woman follows Vinga?

Looks that way. Certainly the religous subcults require you to be in that profession.

> I'm thinking in particular of the "lawspeaker" one: in my game, the
clan
> lawspeaker is female. A very pacifist female. I really don't see
her as a
> Vingan. Do I have something to worry about, or not?

Greg's said that Vinga is how women worship Orlanth. Looks like she'd stay a Lawspeaker -- Vinga Jarani or something like that. And, of course, if your a Lankor Mhy Lawspeaker, then the gender problem doesn't have a problem either... he just wants you to have a beard.

> Graham also said:
> > Strangely enough the 'herder' keyword is also denied to women.
Uraldan
> > Herders seems obvious to me
>
> And to me. What am I missing here?

I think its the difference between actually taking _care_ of the animals in the byre and barn rather than going out into the field and watching over them. Uraldans would be more invovled with the health of the animals and the stead side of things rather than standing around in the cold doing nothing useful while you watch the cows and sheep turn grass into poop.

My experiences on a farm in my youth let me realize that granny spent as much time in the barns as grandpa but she was more intersted in the ones that needed help (healer, etc). Granda (and me) spent more time mucking out the stables with shovels and wheelbarrows and making the stupid hay-burners get to and from the pasture. To this day, I won't go near pigs though.

Hope this helps?

Jeff