Re: Re: where's the Scenario?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:37:02 +0100 (BST)

> > Which works fine for one PC, for one scenario:
> good
> > example, and more or less matches my "fiddle
> backstory
> > to add a remote cousin" one. But that wasn't the
> > question. We're being advised to do this for ALL
> PCs,
> > not just one. And not just for the one scenario:
> for
> > all of them. Wouldn't you hit relationship
> overload?

> I think you are reducing this to absurdity.

No, I'm not trying to reduce it at all: I'm trying to look at the suggestion made, and take it seriously. Let me repeat, as it seems to have been clipped away from us.

Donald:
> Well of Souls is better in that way because there's
> a fair bit of guidance in how to run it.

Ian Cooper:
> There is one great piece of advice in some actual
> plays I have seen for it. Make all the players
> take a relationship to a narrator character in
> character generation.

Ian does not normally produce suggestions that are absurd: but, as you say, this one seems to be. So there's a misunderstanding, somewhere. I'd agree that to my mind, one PC link would seem to be quite enough: it's what I usually do. I'd agree that doing the link via an existing NPC also seems reasonable: and again, I've been doing it. But Ian is quite specifically suggesting that requiring every PC to have a link to a scenario is not only non-absurd, it's an improvement. And, somehow, he's doing it at char-gen, when to my mind you don't even know you're going to be running that scenario yet! So, I'd like to know how this works, since it seems that for him, it does, and if he can achieve what seems to me to be impossible, I'd rather learn from him than laugh at him.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/