The Race

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 10:28:06 -0500

 As long as we're chatting, I have an old problem in new clothes.

One of my players in Unfettered Space is a semi-retired Slick (Sled racer. They race small, agile system ships in dangerous conditions. All not-really-legal. Think The Fast and The Furious in space.) Due to there being a shortage of money for the ship they are on, and that a new super-hot racer has shown up since he left the circuit, he's getting into a race again. This will likely be a big extended contest scene. I'm not certain how I want to approach it under the new extended contest rules.

Now, if I turn it into "everyone knows either Kris or Lilly is going to win" then I can do it as a straight extended contest, no troubles.

If I want to include the option of other competitive racers, however, it gets trickier. I could do a group extended contest, free-for-all, but the last-contestant-standing aspect of that feels backward from a race. I mean, I can probably get the results and then narrate it, but it feels like people dropping out.

Mind you, now that I think about it, if I make people pair off and not do everyone vs everyone at the same time, it can be gradually pulling away from the pack. (I may have just answered my own question.)

I could also do him vs "the course" and make it speed trials, but I suspect that lacks the narrative punch I want.

I suppose I could also do it him vs "The other racers" with margin of success determining where he ends up.

Any thoughts?

LC
(Btw - almost certainly rising action here, not climactic.)