RE: RE: Gloranthan Archeology

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:58:05 -0400

>Thanks also to Oliver 'floats and glows' Bernuetz as well, for obvious reasons...

 Glad to share our RPG fun.

> > > * What are the most famous heirlooms/historical objects in Glorantha
> >
> > Check out the old RuneQuest supplement 'Plunder' if you can find it --

> Don't have it... was it Glorantha-specific?

An old RQ2 publication. It can probably only be found on eBay or someplace like that but you never know what you'll find in an out of the way gaming store.

> Regarding treasures, the King of Dragon Pass computer game
> contains lots of 'middle level' treasures, things like the
> Raven Banner, Vinga's Comb and the Wyrm's Footprint. There
> are lists of these on some of the KODP websites.

> Thanks, I hadn't looked at their website.

Actually (rather immodestly) it can be seen on my KODP website at :

http://www.geocities.com/bernuetz/kodp/treasure.html <http://www.geocities.com/bernuetz/kodp/treasure.html>

Someone used to have a list by function (linked to from Bryan Maloney's site) but the link's broken.

> > - Douglas Adams (sadly missed - a gentle, brilliant man who gave us
> >   perhaps the greatest heroquest of the twentieth century).
> >
> I know, I was greatly saddened to hear of his death.  So long, and thanks
> for all the books...

Seconded.

> Dragonnewt armor? don't they have their own skin? do they wear armor?

Actually they do but the armour in question here is that made from their skin. Unfortunately unlike most things killed to make armour dragonewts come back looking for you so a suit of armour is good for testing your combat skills. Dragonewts cannot go to the next stage in their existence without their hides intact as it were. It was superior leather padding I think and was better the higher the level of dragonewt it was. Inhuman King was the best but probably not worth it in the short term, never mind the long term:->

According to RQ3 they're supposed to have some sort of skill by which they can added dragon bone armour to their natural hides. I believe that this skill practised impedes their spiritual development as well. These bone shards would probably make good lamellar as well.

> BTW, all of this talk of mysterious and possibly dangerous buried Yoof
> artifacts makes me think of Sartar as being rather more post-apocalyptic
> than I had earlier thought... I've always imagined Sartar as being fairly
> 'greenfield', but I like the idea of the country being littered with the
> scary detritus of past wars, and of the Heortlings (and especially the
lunar
> colonists, who don't know better) always being in danger of triggering
> something they really shouldn't have...

I suspect that all of Glorantha is littered with the remains of past ages whether human or not.

Oliver