Phalanxes

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 21:24:08 EDT

<< True, but my brandy-new map of the Lunar Empire shows no less than 4 (!) Sun
 Dome Temples in the hilly, forested lands around the Angry Lake. The  terrain seems unsuitable for an Alexandrian-style phalanx to me. Perhaps  these temples are those that have developed different traditions from the on  in Prax? >>

Hmm, Macedonia would closely resemble the terrain in Aggar methinks. The bulk of the phalanx of foot companions were recruited from terrain similar to that of the Aggari. It could be argued that mountainous terrain is idealised for the phalanx given the likelyhood of the flanks of the formation being covered. In fact we can see a lot of battles in that region where the phalanx had secured its flanks on a mountain or forest.

IMO there is no reason why Aggar could not support a people based phalanx levy culture.

Martin Laurie