Re: seven mothers

From: contracycle <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:31:01 -0000

Cool, ta very much. So the grand stategy here is that the top god gets the chop and everyone else gets brought into the Big Tent? I was thinking that might be a reason to show some kind of neutrality, to curry favour with the locals. Or perhaps they are more like a mopping-up operation behind the lines, comforting the metaphysically traumatised after their temples have been burned and idols cast down?

> I'm not sure what you mean. Does it find a local temple
> and turn it into a temple to the Seven Mothers? No.
> Does it help the local temples reach an accomodation with
> the Empire? Yes.

Sure. I was thinking that there was some doubt about their work, IIRC there is suspicion that their converts are not necessarily "proper lunars". I was wondering if this translated into institutional hostility or something. Would this perhaps imply that priests of more central cults have more prestige and look down upon their missionary brethren. Anyway, thanks for all the answers.