Vedr. Re: In Defence Of A Goddess - A

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_2hFn6ynhLWqEwsOFbprs36UfGRLkTTjRrigaOX77ZEKl9zW_qE_CLSSDhcY_>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 23:47:16 -0000

> I simply agree to disagree with you all and that
> is that.

I suspect that many of you have seen the David Brin essay below, but just in case, I'm including the link.

The essay seems to characterize the Vinga conflict nicely. Jeff and Greg aren't sexist, but are trying to produce a Sartar for ancient heroic literature, not modern fantasy. Many players and narrators on this list, in contrast, want loopholes for modern ideas (e.g. that social roles are not rigidly tied to one's biological gender) in their Gloranthas, and object violently when they see their favorite loopholes being closed.

In David Brin's terms: The new Vinga is from _Star Wars_, while the old one was from _Star Trek_.

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/1999/06/15/brin_main/index.html