Re: Scathach the Iron Shrew

From: Oliver Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:11:17 -0600

John said:

> There's a thread on Wiki about Scathach.

Tried to work in most of the suggestions from there, which is why the past Vingan affliation.

> I like the general feel of Oliver's character, but do we need another
> Vingan? If Broyan has a habit of taking year-wives for alliance purposes,
> Scathach is most likely the sister or daughter of a needed ally among the
> Volsaxi or nearby. I suppose she could be a Vingan tribal leader, but then
> its unlikely she's be a 'mere' steadmistress. I've previously suggested
> mainstream Ernalda - Orendana with perhaps a low-level Kev gift. And she
> should be cattle rich.

I don't think she follows Vinga any longer, that's old news. Now she follows mainstream Ernalda. If the Vinga reference isn't wanted it can certainly go. As far as her value goes I can suggest a couple of things: 1) She is THE organizer and her touch is literally gold. That's why she's so valuable as a match. She can take even the worst organized outfit and make it extremely efficient. 2) She may also have inherited serious moo cows from her dead husband, whose herd she managed to increase greatly in a short time. Her brother-in-law and his clan also have lots of cattle and due to their strong affection with her and they're prepared to share.

> In fact, it could be her herds that prompted her alliance/marriage. If so,
> what did she get of this - either personally or for her family?

What does anyone get out of a deal with Broyan? A chance at freedom (or at least being opressed by the people of your own choosing!) Broyan gets moo cows and maybe some warriors. Her family gets to strike a blow for freedom if indirectly. What does she get? A chance to help a hopeless cause? Do an uber organizing?

> As for her *real* name, I've previously suggested Scathach the Cupbearer,
> which has all sorts of overtones. Not that anyone ever calls her that,
> except to her face.

Hmm, I don't get the overtones I'm afraid. Another possibility (among many names I suppose) is the Hornbearer which could allude to her seeming ability to harness the Horn of Plenty, except that's Praxian isn't it. Oh well, never mind.

Donald:

>Only thing I would add is that she suspects that the whole affair will end
in disaster but stays out of duty. Not a prophesy, just a feeling based on her opinion of >Broyan.

Agreed.

Oliver