Re: Tough Walls

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:18:21 -0700

> It seems to me that trying to smash the walls is a WASTE OF TIME. They are
> magiked to prevent change and resist change so if I was a Lunar General I
would

Also, Oppidae/hillforts with their timber-laced, dirt-filled 40-foot thick "walls" are pretty impervious to battering, which is what stone-throwers are best at. Curtain walls (like medieval castles or Middle-eastern mud-brick walls) are vulnerable to a good bashing. You also have to figure that a lot of missile will impact on the Tor itself, and not do a lot of damage (of course, there *has* to be a scene of a bit of wall collapsing and sliding down the cliff face, with screaming people falling and getting crushed under tons of rock, but it's only a minor wall, and it doesn't really make a usefule ramp or breach).

> go for soft targets. Undermining would be dangerous as the Orlanthi would
> collapse them so a ramp to the walls and ladders, siege towers and Mostali
Assault
> Ladders to get over the walls is the best if not the only way to go.
Romans
> at Masada numbered 10K to 15K people including Jewish prisoners of war
used for
> ramp building which took about nine months.

The Seven of Vistur were probably specially summoned from the Empire to build their ramps, plus such an undertaking would require quite a bit of preparation and ritual - these aren't casual feats to be tossed off with a quick prayer!

> Chucking huge rocks at the walls is probably a bad idea but the rock
> equivelent of grape shot will keep the Orlanthi's heads down whilst ramp
building etc
> is going on.

Yep.

> I couldn't help but chuckle with the reference to flaming war pigs. Lets
go
> the whole hog (sorry!) and have flaming war tuskers...

First, catch your tusker...

RR
- Richelieu