Re: Something completely different

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:53:30 -0000

Hi Simon and folks:

> ...if I understand correctly, many of the
> legates are political appointees rather than full time soldiers (as
with the
> Roman army), and are allocated to tasks (security of the camp;
control of
> the left wing in battle) rather than commanding a number of
regiments
> grouped into a brigade for a long period of time.

Thanks Simon, I'd guess so. Talking about political appointees and soldiers in the Lunar Army can be a little tricky, as -- as things stand -- standing ranks stop dead at tribune, polemarch etc. The question now comes from whether you think many posts are chosen from regimental officers, or from personages who are awash with military experience and knowledge, but have simply 'passed beyond' the regimental ranks, yet have not achieved the high posts that are the generals of the Corps.

[Military experience and temporary employment is also present in the form of the Imperial-controlled Garrison Army, the varying forms of the Provincial Army, higher prestige commands in the Imperial Bodyguard and yet still the rather more disparate House troops -- both those raised by the Satraps and those associated with individual Houses and Assoociations in the Empire]

Based upon that definition of 'political', I tried to centre on the more military aspects, but I guess a welter of posts could really be in what we call civilian fields also, particularly in the fields of supply. Certainly I was envisioning many of the legate roles being functionary, with specific goals and expertise, rather than a simple numerical split of the battalia, sure!

I can see the brigading of units being temporary, and actioned in certain situations (e.g. before battle), with proximal oversight entrusted to experienced (or well-thought of) officers temporarily empowered, or some military friend and flunky of the Warlord not otherwise disposed. Again, depending on views on the Lunar Army, these could really be Fereshori.

> The number of legates would presumably increase in proportion to
the size of
> the force in the field; and there would need to be a mechanism to
establish
> their relative seniority in order to avoid clashes of command;

Quite possibly (or probably!?), yep, but IMG it would be heavily contingent on a Warlord's style and desires, the pressure placed upon him by the Ordenviru, the will of the Emperor, etc. Donald has depicted Tatius as a rather driven and hands on commander, who, whatever his rank, would by his style have less time for an expansive network of underlings.

> phases of the moon would be a good system of rank.

It also might provide some coming together of old and new! :o)

> I wonder, though, whether there might be a more Gloranthan term
than legate
> (carries the baggage of legion with it)?

Sure! All suggestions welcomed.

Cheerio,

Stu.