RE: Re: Broyan Soprano

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:23:43 GMT

In message <20050721203738.HJMX2520.aamta09-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> Mark was asking about blunders and I suspect this is one of Broyan's
>> - he offends someone badly with a decision and they change sides
>> taking important information as well as a fair number of warriors.
>> I'd place this in early 1621 when Tatius is beginning to put the
>> pressure on.
>
>Maybe, but I think I'd have a similar incident quite early, too. The
>trouble with saying "I'm the boss here and if you don't like it, leave",
>is that the people who do just that are usually the ones you wanted to
>keep. After that, Broyan might learn a few lessons about tact.

Could easily happen on several occassions with different backgrounds, I was thinking of the basis for a whole new piece of the story. Something like -

  1. Squabble between two clans gets out of hand.
  2. Someone gets killed and their clan won't accept wergeld.
  3. Broyan is forced to intervene to stop the killing.
  4. The clan he rules against departs in a huff and goes straight to the Lunars.
  5. They are happy enough to grant pardons and tax concessions in return for information which leads to a damaging attack.
  6. Afterwards it's common knowledge in WW that they were betrayed by the clan involved.

If that happens as the problems of maintaining the defence and getting supplies in get greater it's going to add to the drama and suspicion. "If clan X could do this, who else might?"

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/