Re: "Gloranthan Wikipedia"?

From: Alejandro Javier Hartenstein <n1.blind_at_MTg-9FGZj7sB1xuvaW12LAIMoK51N6eHABuzGFnNf_XTXDzbWEp-ez0cydUTWdQsONQ>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:57:03 -0300

On 2/23/07, Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yLN-UfEJPqLZogsGBJ8oVFWCqQ3UxvQiOmY8vB7MhwOrWBjjP2yuLLy4n8SmOdx-rGA4bVohomo.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>There's the rub, I think. The mysterious tipping point at which a piece
(...)

>But those matters aside(!), I personally like the idea. (...)

>Cheers,
>Alex.

Hey, you stole my sig!!!
Anyway, i would *LOVE* to see a gloranthan "wikipedia" for all things gloranthan.
Problem is, i dont see it coming anytime soon, because:

  1. Gregg and co. need to make a living of it (and i truly believe they will loose some sales if everyting becomes freely available -although i also believe most of us would buy the books anyway)
  2. The fan policy as is is kind of restrictive. We had "RuneSight" a spanish rq/hq/gloranthan e-zine with emphasis on the gloranthan part; we launched number 0 - which was a big hit (everyone wanted to see #1), but the fan policy came to hit us in the face just before launching it, so its pieces are sitting on a number of obscure hard drives, while i hope that someday it will see the light.

The only way i see through the first problem is easy: just dont put published stuff there, and keep the wiki going with original material, which of course, Mr. Stafford has the rights of take, twist, and/or use as he sees fit (if the creator wants to make money of it, i dont think he should be posting it there). Of course, i think in that rare cases where something is actually published, due credit is to be recognized, but that was not a problem with anything gloranthan EVER as far as i could see (barring AH publications, of course).

The second point is quite annoying. I see and support the need to protect glorantha... Maybe it could be circumvented with and end user agreement license of sorts while registering on the wiki? Something like "i acklowlegde what im posting, while beeing my creation, is now property of the gloranthan wiki and whoever stands for it, and i give permission to issaries and/or (insert whatever company) to publish, modify, horribly twist it with chaos powers, whatever whitout notifing me nor paying a cent etc etc etc... Of course, a real lawyer should do the stuff :D

Ideas?

--
Cheers,
Alex