Re: Ragnaglar

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_wFMN4QDBXYnDKc4rw3dEGNAtNK2LyAyEtj3DuWzZBJmsIFnD2EYxUiIxIz6Fb>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:26:00 +0000 (GMT)

I question your "therefore", but...

> In Wyrm's footprints, p.65 it says
>
> "Umath had five sons, ... all were raging and
> violent, but each was more
> refined than the one before him. The five sons of
> Umath, by order of
> birth are : Kolat, Storm Bull, Vadrus, Humakt and
> Orlanth."

Here's another source for you. KoS, the initiation of Orlanth.

The brothers listed, in order of testing (which may or may not be significant), are:
Vadrus, Urox, "the other one", Humakt, Orlanth. Orlanth is noted as being the youngest child. The testing is done by uncles of the brothers, also referred to as giants.

"The giants were Genert, Lord of the Earth; Kalt, the Renewing God; Lodril, lord of Fire; Magasta, the Sea giant; Dehore, Darkness-keeper; and some others whose names are not known now. These were all uncles of the children gods, so although they hated them they could not kill them."

That's mainly elements, except for "Kalt, the Renewing God", and Air is missing. I suspect that this is Kolat, who has been "promoted" from brother to uncle.

That at least gets you "the other one" back into the Five, though doesn't help as to order.

Personally I would question the order you quote in any case when combined with that reasoning, and I start to wonder about the Gloranthan authorship.

"all were raging and violent, but each was more refined than the one before him" - a logical idea, though with a scent of Godlearnerism, but: "Kolat, Storm Bull, Vadrus, Humakt and Orlanth"? Rating Storm Bull as more violent than Vadrus? A discussed elsewhere, that seems odd.

Sorry, I haven't helped much with figuring out where "the other one" fits in the sequence :(