Re: how many Argraths?

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_dFi6r4wu5rvsyY-LTfKFmyLJJoaTKpx2F0DVewAlwuUQOy-ODI2mZy4WTTpQysprIHC>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:43:44 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Jane Williams wrote:

> --- Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_ymPLWhIfL1RcJjob89Xxt7UopfDpA30I-LXeD5anrbKArAuoOFP52n0YE0f_Pb1BzWyOVRQqZ95tppFh.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>> I like the possibilities offered by the list in OiD.
>> I don't want it
>> pinned down how many individuals are "actually"
>> behind those five (in some
>> cases partial) names. Leave it to each persons
>> Glorantha to resolve those things.
>
> Sure, but it helps to know what sources you have to
> contradict to achieve each option.

I agree. At the very least you need to know how to "interpret" any sources for the players.

> But, we then have Venharlsson visiting Leika "early in
> his reign". And Min. Blue notes. "1632 — Argrath
> visits Queen Leika, is accepted into tribe." Accepted
> on the grounds of his Venharlsson ancestry.

I take your point

> It might be possible to separate them out with an
> awful lot of weaseling and squeezing, but the easy and
> obvious answer is that they were the same person. How
> come two ancestries? Easy. The Saga tells us about his
> parents having died when he was a child. So what would
> have happened to him between then and adulthood?
> Fosterparents. Which lot of parents came first, and
> whether either "father" was present at the conception,
> is another question, but getting him both ancestries
> is easy.

I'd *guess* that Maniski and Yanioth are his blood parents, as he needs a blood claim to the throne, but it's just my opinion.

> If you want them to be separate individuals, you're
> going to have to sort out what was going on in 1632,
> and who it was who got accepted by Leika. Not
> impossible, of course, but you'll end up contradicting
> something, somewhere.

I'm not sure you can avoid contradicting anything, whatever you do - the saga says Maniski was of the Karandoli clan, so why the need to be Venharlsson to claim clan membership? I'm not sure it's possible to come up with any interpretation that's free of such nit-picking. Which could well be the intention....

But Garrath "Sharpsword" Maniskison, descended by blood on his mother's side from King Sartar, adopted son of Venharl of the Karandoli, makes a lot work.

Not everything though. Where'd he get his ability to copy the lunar magical regiments? He wasn't at Icleand, on either side. And what clann/tribe was his father. Probably not the Karandoli, as noted above. Questions, questions. I actually dread the day we answer them all with finality :-)

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_ymPLWhIfL1RcJjob89Xxt7UopfDpA30I-LXeD5anrbKArAuoOFP52n0YE0f_Pb1BzWyOVRQqZ95tppFh.yahoo.invalid