how many Argraths?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_msZtBCbkDGcO06akwca0P19Tp0VV_DQIJGHTUke7uku_GWC4nwyg6nNlWQWKe>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:54:37 +0000 (GMT)

> I like the possibilities offered by the list in OiD.
> I don't want it
> pinned down how many individuals are "actually"
> behind those five (in some
> cases partial) names. Leave it to each persons
> Glorantha to resolve those things.

Sure, but it helps to know what sources you have to contradict to achieve each option.

The problem with Maniskisson and Venharlsson being two different people is that they both seem to have been Prince of Sartar in the early 1630s. "Maniskisson" is the geneology given by the one who CHDP writes as having lit the Flame, and despite the necessary caveats here (he didn't, not at that date, it was Kallyr), this is what was presented to "The" Argrath, so must be his preferred ancestry. And, it gets confirmed by Min. Blue. "1631 — Argrath Maniskisson elected Prince of Sartar."

But, we then have Venharlsson visiting Leika "early in his reign". And Min. Blue notes. "1632 — Argrath visits Queen Leika, is accepted into tribe." Accepted on the grounds of his Venharlsson ancestry.

It might be possible to separate them out with an awful lot of weaseling and squeezing, but the easy and obvious answer is that they were the same person. How come two ancestries? Easy. The Saga tells us about his parents having died when he was a child. So what would have happened to him between then and adulthood? Fosterparents. Which lot of parents came first, and whether either "father" was present at the conception, is another question, but getting him both ancestries is easy.

If you want them to be separate individuals, you're going to have to sort out what was going on in 1632, and who it was who got accepted by Leika. Not impossible, of course, but you'll end up contradicting something, somewhere.

New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk