Re: The Carmanians in the Second Age

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_AF8JZIijlmEhbShAnPTl-Pl_NapbZint2EWhZ6XWffvdch_lipze9xr5jmRfaGfAMUn>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:49:20 -0400

YGWV On 3/24/07, innerworlder2000 <innerworlder2000_at_65qPNZW_DmfqCw3kq-pu-XteRmEmwguIAJ6ootnbAPpdio9hBpCMyURhZ3tM8OX0mFX-6qmeSorqVAqXX5va9GA.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> In Glorantha, Introduction to the Hero Wars, either you, Greg
> Stafford, or Roderick Robertson write: " The Invisible God created two
> beings to oversee the world of humans. Idovanus the Good God was
> overcome by Ganesatarus the Bad God, but since the dawn Idovanus'
> forces have been gaining power."

There was a branch of Zoroastrianism that had a similar theology - Zurvanism. In that creed the Good God and Evil God were brothers, with the Evil God being eldest and the Good God being the best loved son. I think there was also a vague mother goddess involved. This fits with some of the Pelandan creation stories (see Entekosiad), as well as the Unity List prologue (Fortunate Succession), so I think it is entirely possible that there have been Carmanian sects that have similar beliefs.

That said, there are two primal Carmanian gods - Idovanus and GanEstoro. If there are higher powers (Hidden Mover, whatever) then those beings would be remote enough to be irrelevant to regular Carmanians.

~Kevin McD