Re: The Trouble with Insravel

From: innerworlder2000 <innerworlder2000_at_Yy4lW1yazkq6oHcv_50ogtIiEX13Fhec9nN42JsbDOliWSzoA9U-vEAVBn5>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 06:46:11 -0000

I wrote:
"A ditheistic system ( a form of dualism) would be one in which there
are only two gods: one god is creative, the other is destructive."

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
"I don't really see the point for this. The Carmanians can't be
dualistic because a definition of dualism that you have defined makes it impossible? "

I'm sorry. Perhaps this is my fault for not giving a reference. I didn't make it up. You can find the definition in many places on the internet.

"Both 'bitheism' and 'ditheism' imply a belief in two equally powerful
gods with complementary properties. However, while bitheism implies harmony, ditheism implies rivality and opposition. For example, a ditheistic system would be one in which one god is creative, the other is destructive (cf. theodicy). In a bitheistic system, one god could be male and and the other female (cf. duotheism). However, bitheistic and ditheistic principles are not always so easily contrastible, for instance in a system where one god is the representative of summer and drought and the other of winter and rain/fertility. (cf. the mythology of Persephone)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism

Also:
Di"the*ism
(?), n. [Pref. di- + theism: cf. F. dithisme.] The doctrine of those who maintain the existence of two gods or of two original principles (as in Manicheism), one good and one evil; dualism.

http://www.freedict.co.uk/words/d/ditheism.php

also

http://columbia.thefreedictionary.com/Ditheism

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
"Wrong. Montheism means worship of one god and one god only."

No, you are wrong.

"In theology, monotheism (Greek &#956;&#972;&#957;&#959;&#962;(monos)
= single and &#952;&#949;&#972;&#962;(theos) = God) is the belief in the existence of one deity or God, or in the oneness of God. In Western context, the concept of "monotheism" tends to be dominated by the concept of the God of the Abrahamic religions and the Platonic concept of God as put forward by Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite.
The concept of monotheism has largely been defined in contrast with earlier polytheistic religions, and monotheism tends to overlap with other Unitary concepts, such as monism.
Ostensibly monotheistic religions may still include concepts of a plurality of the divine, for example the Christian Trinity, or the veneration of Saints, as well as the belief in "lesser spirits" such as angels or demons."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotheism

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
"Moreover the topic is about the Carmanians, not the Zoroastrians."

First of all, I created this thread. I was responding to Jeff who said:
"However, based on various discussions, I never thought the Carminians
as Zorastoriistic."

Other RuneQuest players think of the Carmanians as Zoroastrian as well. Here is an example:

"Paul Reilly here. The Carmanian interest group is working on stuff to
release to the net. I will jump the gun a little to correct an impression that Steven Barnes picked up somewhere:
"They {the Zoroastrians} believe in a creator diety; they believe in
an ongoing
conflict between the forces of Darkness and Light. Darkness = Evil, Lies, and Destruction; Light = Good, Truth."   True enough, there is a lot more. On to the Carmanians.
"Regarding the Carmanians, the Creator is obviously analgous to
the Invisible God. If we use Zoarastorism as a model, this suggests that they revere dieties (or "saints") of light, and shun those of darkness."

I am not the one who chose the term Carmanian (of which there was a historical culture that was Persian, that had satrapies, and followed the philosophy of Zoroaster). I am drawing a relationship between Zoroatrianism and Carmanianism, and this website states: "All polite discussion about Glorantha is fair game."

My whole point is that it is confusing for players (and worse yet, authors trying to build on the design) to say the religion is monoism (a primal god created two emanations or lesser gods), and then try to turn around and say that it is dualism. At the very least it would have to be polytheism because you cannot forget about that "little man behind the curtain," or the prime god that created the other two gods.  You can't just tell people to just forget about him and he'll go away.