Re: Heortling social structure and wergeld confusion

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_nL5BtB2P-eqLcKsWU1sTQcM3RC6TXC5_YS-UXYWkwyZR6B072s3t0KcqIpHPYr2Y628>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:40:00 -0000

I agree. The difference is in the terminology and the attitudes in my opinion. A feodalistic westernes would see what I described, where a proper orlanthi carl would be affronted by the westerners allegations.

As opposed to true feodalism, there are also key differences. The positions of the chiefs, kings and thanes aren't hereditary. They are dependant on the favour of the carls (and to a lesser extent the cottars) of the bloodlines and whole clans. A thane that gets too greedy will be replaced.

The basic mechanics or warrior nobles are still there, though the oppression is less and the guys at the top are not nearly as rich as those in a true feodalism.

  ***

What do you guys think about the social position and wergeld. How useful is it to be a child or a hearth companion of a thane or a chief? How much does your social rank matter if you are far from home?

  -Adept