Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_dQu8g_1RaCu18TI7GUgcAXlfXguj0majG0h3nuFL_lfmtJeYtixa_QqIVjOfYdH7Xoc_F>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:08:19 -0700

> I recognize that some people want to play limited characters. I'd
> argue that this should be an advanced option, not the default. Start
> out with the simplest possible rules, allowing the most generally
> exciting characters--the ones Greg finds interesting enough to write
> about--and later introduce rules for the more complex, limited
> characters for those who prefer them.

I disagree with this approach. People (many more than "some") have been playing "low level" Gloranthan characters for 30 years, and saying: "what you've been doing is wrong" is a bad idea. I'd rather see an approach where you choose three (or so) points on the spectrum and show how to create characters of that level - in a Gloranthan setting, something on the order of "Just starting out", "Clan Champion" and "True Capital-H Hero"* (or, to use the current ratings, a starting value of 17ish, 15w-5w2ish, and 10w3+ish). it's not that much more writing, and doesn't make people feel like they've been playing "wrong" all these years.

*In other settings it might be Lois Lane, Batman and Superman, or Cantina Musician, Han Solo and ObiWan Kenobi.

RR