Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable? (Ship Building)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_bEtW42D-RmkbSq05jC8NxmF89pcV_8f3nYParzsE_43r5dvaE-qwltTxn-f8GJ0g5fMkL>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 07:59:41 -0700

> OK, I'm a bit confused about which parts of the ever-expanding Rule
> Fiddling thread is on the HQ-Rules list, so assuming I'm not struck
> down by a vengeful Moderator ....

> But, say you were doing something like a Jason and the Argonauts or,
> a Dormal Opens the Seas kind of journey. You might have ancient plans
> from when your clan sailed the seas but stopped during the Closing.
> You might want a magical ship, to bestow it with powers and so on.
> What I'd do in that case would be to make a ship as an Extended
> Contest, with rituals, binding spirits/elementals/beings to the ship,
> enchanting parts of the ship and so on. I'd even make it a Guardian
> and the crew a Heroband, with some of the ship's abilities coming
> from the results of the Extended Contest.

I'll give you a "bye" this time, Simon, because you really didn't talk about rules :-).

The activity above would fit well in a RQ, or Traveller, or Pendragon-based game. I'm betting that all ships (as opposed to boats) in Glorantha have this level of magic "built in". (Boats may have a lesser level of magic built in, and reed rafts - probably very little, relying on the magic of the owner instead of uinvesting magic into something that will only last a season anyway, but that's for the Players to decide, ultimately...)

RR
Vengeful Moderator