Re: Epic NPCs and their stats

From: Rob <lamorak33_at_5ZUrUdqVa6jvA8RPZMHr_D8JzQKlLEGnRmlerAdyBKbv2K4V2sxeGkrBJamETAUi-C>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:32:35 -0000

Jeff:
> > I strongly endorse David Dunham's approach. He knows what he is
> > talking about.

Jon:
> A game system without a scale, unable to stat out or describe the
games
> main protagonists does not inspire. After all HQ was meant to be
the
> game that could describe the mighty and powerful.

I feel Jon has hit the nail squarely on the head here.

I feel confident summarising what we are discussing here is;

That most would like to see comprehensive background material for the main protaganists of the hero wars.

That many would also like stats offered by Issaries on what is generally the accepted scale (ie the one in the HQ rulebook).

It is generally accepted that folks have games that work on a variety of scales, and that whatever, most folks can make the necessary adjustment as required for their own game. For example, in Greg's game getting your best ability to 3 wibbles would probably be a long arduous game and you will have justly earned your rank of hero. Person x who has a Farmer, after a few sessions, in his game can routinely get 4 wibbles with augments on many of his abilities. Like Jeff says, its a feature not a flaw, but that doesn't mean we have to shackle our Gloranthan Heroquest game as a game without stats.

There are games that do not use dice, or stats. Heroquest is not such a game. It has stats for player characters, and we use a D20. Therefore as Jon says to imply that HQ cannot be used to describe central core protaganists with its system is ludicrous.

We all also agree, almost unanimously that whatever stats are produced will be roundly debated, criticised, eulogised and canonised!

What is generally agreed is that the need for stats by many is not because we all wnat a Harrek vs Jar Eel dueling or convention tournaments (although they could be used thus and who is empowered to say 'NAY!')

And as I have said many times, we got the goods for Broyan and Kallyr, so what is wrong with using that scale?

I think thats all,

Regards
Rob