Re: Epic NPCs and their stats

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_jCTfIWjRB9I6u07-OAcCCeRaa92l3fwP11MoXiqx1bMptYcck8lAd2Edrj6E0RUxjUkPQJie>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:38:07 -0000

> I feel confident summarising what we are discussing here is;
>
> That most would like to see comprehensive background material for
the
> main protaganists of the hero wars.

Yes, but....

I'd sooner have (game) material published that I can use directly in a game. The Harrek's, Jar-Eels, Red Emperors and the like are all fine and dandy, but not the sort of people I'd expect my PC's to run into every day. (And I think Jeff/David's point is that if they *are* the sort of people you are going to encounter every day then as a GM you want to "custom build" them to suit the game/characters rather than take an "off the shelf" approach). So as a stand alone book, "Champions of the Red Moon" would seem a better bet than "HQ stats for WB&RM counters". I can see characters of a much wider range of abilities (and interests) interacting in any number of ways with the characters and organisations in a sample association than those interacting with the Heroes and SuperHeroes of Glorantha. Also, we know, by their very nature that the Jar-Eels and Harreks are unique, wheras presenting an association also acts as a sample or template for other such associations individual groups might want to create for their own games.

> That many would also like stats offered by Issaries on what is
> generally the accepted scale (ie the one in the HQ rulebook).

Obviously, of course things become very different when we look at something like "The Great Argrath Campaign". I'd feel somewhat cheated if that volume avoided providing stats for the major NPC's we'll (presumably) encounter therein. And I'd very much like to see the GAC.

> There are games that do not use dice, or stats. Heroquest is not
such
> a game. It has stats for player characters, and we use a D20.
> Therefore as Jon says to imply that HQ cannot be used to describe
> central core protaganists with its system is ludicrous.

Remember too, though, that Heroquest is about narrative and applicability rather than strict simulation, so the description of, for instance, the Red Emperor will (or certainly could) be very different if you are playing a machivellian game of intrigue in the courts of Glamour or facing him as he personally leads the Lunar army against the Household of Death, or Sheng and his Pentan invaders.

> And as I have said many times, we got the goods for Broyan and
> Kallyr, so what is wrong with using that scale?

We have these stats for these characters as they appear at a particular point in a (set of) adventures, which gives us context. One of the problems with defining characters now that might subsequently appear in (for instance) GAC is that as and when it comes to fit them into the narrative it might be that a different emphasis is required - So I'd sooner wait and have the characters in context please...