Re: Epic NPCs and their stats

From: Rob <lamorak33_at_-3fLdb5100rZlohSy9P_72ZzjIUuxFoba_bsMerrjrcf-Ejg2L8jTYUdshrvONqfoa>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:46:27 -0000

> Donald:
> > Why can't *you* do them?

For what its worth, I had already started doing this and actually, the sources Donald alludes to do not give you nearly enough information. That will come from Greg, and maybe other authors who will maybe assist Greg with the GAC.

But to discuss 'relative' ratings such as 'superb' what does this mean for my game? I'm sorry but it doesn't work for me.

This is how I work. If my players best ability in sword and shield is 15W then the clan champion may be a full mastery higher than this, or not depending on the relative view of the 15W guy in the eyes of the players. If they expect the clan champion guy to kick their ass then the +20. If the 15W guy has created a combat monster character who is going to vie for the role of clan champion then I will drop the rating a little maybe.

If I look in the HQ book clan champion ratings, I can then adjust my game by looking at the relative effectiveness of the perceptions in my group dynamic. It's a complex, but
 Intuitive process that I can do very, very quickly. If my players develop to a level of ability where they can take on the mighty then so be it. They are the heroes of my tales. YGWV, remember that? When we have the GAC we will be able to see in one publication what the implications are of killing Garrath Swordsharp in the Puzzle Canal in 1619.

But, looking at OiD and comparing the abilities of Kallyr to the HQ clan champion, I can see how much better she is. Therefore I can adjust her up or down as required. And I get a lot more out of the numbers than just conflict resolution data. I get a quantification of what is important to that character. Kallyr's leadership is higher than I think all her abilities. This makes perfect narrative sense, and says a lot about the character, and I don't have to make the decision myself. Therefore numbers will enhance the GAC, not diminish it. I can readily adjust numbers to suit, but having to make them up? Definitely not what I expect from a published product.

And as for Jeff asserting that creativity is suppressed by such data is hogwash. 95% of folks just read or hear about these characters off stage.

And lets come back to the central point. Harrek is invincible in the canon. Why not put a disclaimer in the GAC? Say that the stats are for information, but some narrators may wish to ensure that Harrek never loses a fight therefore always ensure that he is always a mastery or two over any player character he fights. YHWV indeed! Such a disclaimer is in the Pendragon books. Arthur, Guenevere and Lancelot are central to the grand scheme therefore killing one or other of them will impact the over arching Arthurian story and themes. Lets have that in the GAC and let indicidual GM's plot their own Hero Wars. I thought that was the idea.

Regards
Rob