Re: Terror in War - Long

From: Dan Guillou <dguillou_at_rIT6a4BCTctYS4kb632nE9psOU3-sWVaxDadMCoiGuqZpg8waa4AQpTy6DWLwosG0XL>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:59:20 +0200

Donald
> I can't agree here. The proportion of religious fanatics in Glorantha
  will be higher than the RW but it's nowhere near a majority. The   typical Lunar isn't trying to convert the world. He or she is   concerned with making a living, raising children and enjoying what   luxuries they can afford. Same with the typical Heortling, he'll   tell the rebel leaders he worships Orlanth and the Lunars he follows   Barntar before going back to worrying about his crops and cattle.

We don't mean the same thing by "fanaticism". I think that perhaps I would use the word "zealotism" for what you're talking about. When I use "fanaticism" I'm talking about the strength of ones convictions, about how important religion is for how one thinks about the world and ones place in it, how likely one is to formulate self-esteem (or judgement on others) in religious terms. I've always thought of Glorantha as a place where religion is as important to peoples lives, as christianity would be in the RW, if christians were able to go the Via Dolorosa, see the Lord with their own eyes, experience for themselves how their sins were actually lifted from them, sing along with the angel choir (is that in grief or in triumph? ...I've always been a bit unclear on which one it is supposed to be) and do this _every_ easter. And also -perhaps almost as important- a place where minor magical miracles, based on worldview or religion or whatnot, are as matter of course, as electronic cash transfer to a 7-11 shop assistant.
The desire to convert others, now, that is something else. Sure there are examples... the Lunar way, EWF, the Return to Righteousness Crusade... But I don't think that kind of thing is exactly typical of Gloranthan religion?

Cheers,
Dan Guillou