Re: 2nd Age Languages

From: rurik_runespear <andrewlemery_at_IHJuT-0tUKnxiwwc3xOu7ieLph0Z9NfHR_b7IiuMH7zeXBBgVRMbqW_ByIHItCk>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:34:56 -0000

Probably true, but Brithrini is probably the oldest language that is not 'lost'. In RQ3 all Western languages are closely related to Brithrini in that they get 1/3 of their skill in Brithrini and Brithrini gets 1/3 in all other western languages. Other Western languages have get 1/5 or 1/10 (can't remember which and Genertela is not handy at the moment). So Seshnegi, Safelstran, and Loskalmi seem to have evolved pretty much on their own from Brithrini based on these rules mechanics.

> > Is Jrusteli similiar to Brithrini? Is it a 'root' language of
other
> > Western languages as they spread their influence?
> >
> > Another possibility is that it is very closely related to
Seshnegi,
> > perhaps even more or less the same language in the Second age.
>
> Originally, it was probably Seshnegi, but would have been changed
> slightly because of the time differences, the different waves of
> settlers, contact with indiginous natives and also contact with
> others from the Middle Sea Empire.
>
> What would be interesting would be to see how the Western languages
> are related. (Interesting to me, anyway.)

This is all interesting to me as well (hence the posts).

> They are all written using the Western Script, or at least they all
> used to be, so we'd be looking at spoken languages, I assume.
>
> See Ya
>
> Simon

Yes, I imagine Seshnegi was brought to Jrustela but since has changed, but probably still bears a strong resemblance. It may have influences from the original settlers (who would probably have spoken a Theyalan dialect having come from Slontos I'm thinking), and even picked up influences from as far away as Pameltela and possibly even from Timinits. It could in fact be the least like Brithrini now that I think about it.

So perhaps the relationship between Jrusteli and Seshnegi is roughly similar to Spanish and Portuguese. Perhaps even giving 1/2 of ones ability with one language to the other.

More analyzing leads to more questions, and another language's development that is interesting is Safelstran - what would the Stygian Empire's influence on that have been? It seems to me that it would have been influenced by Theyalan (because it is common in Ralios) and probably even Darktongue, making it more different to other Western tongues than is 'normal'. Was it even the 'official' language of the Stygian Empire? (I'm assuming so).