Re: North Pent

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_VVD2iretSoxfoUC01FbGaRPm-N4oUa31ZL4WTDFBwJpx-pzHGhHRPDtz2OdxsG3zS-1enfn>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:44:59 -0800

YGWV   Simon Phipp wrote:

> How far does Valind's Glacier go across Pent?

The glacier extends about half way across the continent.

> I was always under the impression that the North was cold because of
> Valind and his Glacier, nit because it is in the North. If you go
> northwards but don't go to Valind's Glacier, is there any reason why
> it has to be cold there?

I'd have to check the master maps of Gloranthan weather. Haven't they been published somewhere? Check the wind patterns to see if the winds blow off of the glacier into these lands.

But if northern pent is cold it is because of the winds blowing off the Glacier.

> You eventually reach
> Altinela, which I've always thought was warm.

Altinela is the last land of the north. Beyond lies the questionable "edge of the world" whose substance is often insubstantial, whose reality is often unreal and whose existence is often inexistent. The variable reality is pretty much stopped by the presence of Altinela and its many residents (who are the minor children of the gods and spirits etc., essentially a mixed race of demigods.)

Joerg adds

> > The outer northern shore will be a raging current, probably with
> crushed
> > ice aheaving on the waves.

It is not necessarily cold and icy there. It is supernaturally strong and raging, being the ocean that is between reality and the Void, hence partially unreal inexistent, etc.

> > There is likely to be sea-life, and likely also
> > intelligent sea-life. Probably niiads rather than lesser triolini,
> along
> > with types of whales, seals, fish and crustaceans unknown in other
> seas,
> > characteristic to the north face of the cube swimming in Sramak's
> Ocean.

Not necessarily wrong, but it is inhabited by many chaotic like things that live in the never-ever land between reality and chaos/void.

> Along Valind's Glacier there will be ice, but what about when
> Valind's Glacier ends?

In the north, again, it is where reality and unreality meet.

> > There might be remnants of pre-darkness "civilizations". Antigod
> > strongholds from the Darkness, too. It wasn't always cold in the
> north.

But it was in the Storm and Darkness Ages.

> > Before the Sky Dome was pushed into rocking, and then spilling heat
> in the
> > far south while Walind collected cold in the north west, the Ratite
> Empire
> > roamed North Pent, a Greater Rinliddi. Bird folk, maybe like keets,
> maybe
> > like humans or nar sylla, or maybe just sentient birds.

Like all of them, and other things too. Imagine if all the natural and supernatural niches of ecology and imagination were filled by avian things instead of mammalian things...

>Apart from
> > antigods, I don't expect any of the hypothetical old dwellers to be
> alive,
> > but they might manifest as wraiths or similar.

You'd mentioned hidden and lost relics of these elder creations surviving in crevices or safe zones protected by prehistoric powers. Great ideas.

 --Greg