Re: About the Only Old One and Belintar. Also Esrolian mythology.

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_eyQ0HVBR63aRdyrz6Hv1KBExpUcWj8je8hORm_7HJ6yeQTFlGK7ZvDeIUr2lIVtPrYUd3w8>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:00:56 -0800

YGWV valkoharja wrote:

> Here's the thing. The player is very interested in magic and mythology
> (as well as cultural stuff). He wants to explore the Issaries side of
> Lightbringers, heroquest and for the character to become if not a
> hero, then a companion of Heroes.
>
> So yeah, a heroquesting fool.
>
> The character is an Issaries goldentongue devotee, who is focusing on
> being a member of the Lightbringers (mythologically, that is). He has
> used this connection to learn feats from Orlanth (leaping shield),
> Lankhor Mhy (can read, also an analyze magic feat), Chalana Arroy
> (stop bleeding), and even Flesh Man (spirit ward). Oh, and he
> attracted the attention of an Eurmali bondsman of a orlanthi thane,
> and ended up with a one use "lie" feat.

Such things could hinder his Issaries purity, of course. If he plans to become a devotee, as he ought to do if he is going to go into Hell, he could find those tings a hinderance.

> Thing is, reading History of the Heortling Peoples I get the feeling
> that Orlanthi cult is very much suspect in Esrolia,

Yes.

> and joining them

The Esrolians, I presume.

> on a punishment raid into Wenelia and learning an orlanthi feat is a
> much more dubious thing to do than I thought it would be.

Everything has its dangers.

But there is also a need to be practical, as indeed the Esrolian Grandmothers tend to be. The divine mistrust between Imarja and Orlanth is always reflected among their worshippers, but Imarja has no problem with exploiting Orlanth, as long as he doesn't get the upper hand.

I'd think that an Issaries initiate learning a few Orlanth spells wouldn't set off alarms in most Esrolians.

--
    Greg Stafford
    President, Issaries. Inc.

Love without reserve,