Re: Foreign Magic - flavour and crunch

From: Stephen McGinness <stephenmcg_at_nc23ytAfXD_FdRbS5v6SWXR_KBP0ORIbe3LchINka4DqWdV3b0L9QuJ1UOoqtXqTC>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 23:10:37 +0100

donald_at_1Uw9USl4ZCwZkn5bQvkC6wwY1oATW4zNq1P4I7sptSPIezn0E-CcuanGLEv3PxmELZAWTtWg7NlgJ1zOe8WOr5Q.yahoo.invalid wrote:
> You are missing the fact that all forms of magic are at a
> disadvantage in the material world. So they become equal. If
> however you go onto the spirit plane essential and theistic
> magics are at a disadvantage (a full mastery IIRC). The same
> applies to the god plane and the essential plane.

This is something I will have to remember. I fully plan to use a very HQ style of things on the Hero Plane etc and I will have to remeber the problems of changing between the varieties of supernatural movement.

Thank you.

> Personally I'm not very interested in rules mechanic differences
> between the systems. Rather I concentrate on different descriptions
> and appearances.

And that is why I'm trying to drill down here. The mechanics aid in delivering a particular look and feel to the gameplay. I get things from aspects of RQ that I do not from HQ and vice versa. What I'm trying to do is get this fusion of rules right for my group. That way I can concentrate on the stories I want to tell, knowing that the gameplay will reinforce the messages in the narrative.

Stephen