Re: Illumination and lies

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_LrGAV0jTamTHFA8ASQQd5EK0-NHOMy15Hi9G3VAbFcgGufKqVFZgLXj1CQST5W>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 09:13:20 -0700

One of the bigger problems here for the infiltrator is his diconnection from his community. No one to share sacred week rituals with, no way to reaffirm his connection with his (actual) god.

It seems to me that he would still be acquiring knowledge magic, although other observers would not know the source of this magic. But that his overall connection to LM or IO would suffer from failing to participate in regular ceremonies. After all, Initiates have a time requirement of supporting their cult and their personal relationship with their diety. If you're using that time to fake membership in a competing god's cult, supporting that god's place in the god plane with season rituals and annual heroquests; going to be hard to keep your own magic working.

Not to mention the possibilities of reprisal spirits for abandoning your active role in the god's cult. And knowledge god's often have virtues that eschew lying on a daily basis.

Instead of an initiate, IO's cult would be better off sending a lay member who just depends on Common Magic.

--Todd Gardiner