Re: Examples of the feminine side of the Lunar Empire?

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at__Y1xMPur026o1KlX_Y5kzzAqaQYQY-W_pyZK0ZFWFvPBBFqvYGNPpzSa6N1EijFqTGh>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:19:27 -0000

<snip great stuff from Greg and others>

Thank you, I think I'm starting to get a better handle on this.

The essence of the Lunar Empire is freedom and opportunity to fulfil your potential, even if it goes against the norms and limitations of pre-lunar societal norms.

Potential, opportunities and ideals are more important to the Lunar Way than mundane reality. The Goddess and her church don't want to _make_ a woman claw herself to the top of male hierarchy in a traditionalist land. What they do, though, is give an opportunity for such an exceptional woman to do just that, and in so doing show a path lesser people can follow (I'm not just talking about the Immortals, but a lower level manifestation of the same).

Even if the female warriors and generals in the Lunar army are only the one in seven that we see in Heortling lands, it's still a huge change to the rigid gender roles of pre lunar societies. It also goes the other way, of course. In societies where all the rulers have been women, a man can now strive for lunar leadership positions... or just become a cook or a nurse (modern terms, but you know what I mean).

So... flexibility and freedom. Things that are actually quite alien and shocking to most pre-modern societies.

  ***

Nice :)

I'd also like to hear more about the Great Sister. I still know next to nothing of this important figure.

Is she immortal like the Takenegi used to be? Is she rebuilt each time like the later emperors? Which books should I fish out to learn more about her?

  -Adept