Re: Heroquests for the Unholy Trio

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_zcw2srnpLsQj9zaRlzWurOi4IT8i3O31Bbzu-7GR_CTe6oRUrEsa-_l2uoPOvzNUwO>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:25:32 +1100

2008/12/22 Ian Borchardt <iborchar_at_EFRAocYH2X83OhEp5JOvsVRGjlUemayFjxS_-jcC2Q104w6qwTog9ufaBdis1qw1GLUEQ3touvnr.yahoo.invalid>
> Worshipping Chaos has to have some effect, otherwise why do people
> keep doing so? It's a fairly common theme in the game literature
> for a mistaken individual to turn to Chaos to punish a neighbour or
> keep a disease away, even if it does eventually lead to the demise of
> the individual. And by interacting with chaotic entities in this way
> they _are_ heroquesting, except, as with most Chaos, the entire
> magical procedure is reversed - you are bringing the "Otherworld of
> Chaos" [note the quotes before you explode and say there is no such
> thing] to you.

Some people do worship chaotic enties don't they? Or am I misunderstanding Vivamort's and Cacodemon's connections to Chaos?

That being said, some people in Glorantha do things that defy sense to us gamers with our god-like perspective on things (e.g those poor Esvulari and their misapplied worship!). The efficacy of rites is not always provable and the expectations of those who are moved to worship Chaos may be different to those who worship more reliable entities (i.e. they don't expect it work every time, and so when it does - coincidentally perhaps - they believe they have just been favoured by their awful patrons). So there may be effects, but perhaps not as predictable or useful as those gained by less demented worship practices.

I have to say the whole "bringing the Otherness of Chaos to you" thing is a neat idea! Something worth thinking about!

--
John Machin