Re: Teshnos in HW: Glorantha and HQ Voices

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_xiKIh4MpCWhXsonLSUoCtznph3Cb6a1VQ-htA1krAAiiD1zvQ0W4rHmbzL7pwTUW>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:16:32 -0800 (PST)

I know nothing about Teshnos, so this thread has been fascinating.

Peter writes:

> A Teshnan can decide to be reincarnated in an unmarked relation of

> his.  That preserves the family ties or rather the clan ties and
> requires the Teshnans to have some sort of rules for transmigration to
> avoid incest.

This makes a lot of sense -- and also makes Teshnos even more mysterious to outsiders. "What do you mean your cousin is your daughter?"

> When people are reincarnated, they are incarnated into the body of an
> adult so the age difference isn't all that problematic.

If the age gap gets too big, might the lovers commit suicide at the same time? It sounds like a great romantic poem.

Peter writes:
> You have a funeral and the life-flame is taken from your pyre.  Who is
> the life-flame going to be placed in?  The unmarked kid attending your
> funeral.  What background is he is she most likely to be from?
.. . . [in a different message, but same subject]
> If the identity of the deceased is well-known and he has bad karma
> waiting to be discharged, then they'll find the soul of a troublesome
> kid whom nobody likes or even worse a wild animal to put it in (such
> wild animals make up a proportion of the Hsunchen around Teshnos IMO).
>
> But what about domestic animals?  Well I suppose that the Teshnans do
> decide to be incarnated in a cow, horse or elephant out of religious
> dedication.

And, to extract justice, the authorities could force the flame to go into someone of lower caste or whatever. Surely part of a severe punishment is that you get demoted in caste (or worse). The ramifaction of being in the "wrong" caste are that you can't do many things you want or need to. Maybe you can't touch the kind of property you have accumulated. Or maybe you can't touch your wife or children because they are in different caste. Maybe you can't live in your house because that would pollute it spiritually.

If the flame goes into a cow, presumably, the family would take special care of the cow. ("This is my uncle. Say hello, uncle." "Mooo!" -- Any conversation that ends with "mooo" warms my Praxian heart.)

What happens to people who die alone in the wilderness, or at sea, or in some calamity that wipes out an entire clan, so that their flame cannot be transferred? Are their flames extinguished? Are they some kind of ghost? Do they reincarnate randomly or into some passer-by? Is there some way to protect yourself against whichever of these might be true> (To change the metaphor, doing the resurrection run or restarting the leve or whatever.)

I'm thinking great romantic epics where someone sets out to find the long-lost flame of a loved one. And also the moral duty of the clan leader to find the lost flame. And how the clan leader might have to go to great lengths and expense to do so.

Chris Lemens