Re: Ghelotralas

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_HfzFOoYTId0vRgHVdnnzfHSEMEeOeKcJs6HxMvJgNPXXeRWuX0clSQBETbhtko-ja>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:07:41 -0800

YGWV On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_S5Y8h_hrpjHzEnzLZQqE0T5Pyvw1ZIyhFFzV58g-sPj3AQ54CGX7OMK9iLpN0KGjjEdUfepxP3cJAg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Peter Metcalfe
> <metcalph_at_TDRLesWJUQqlZQ1fwT3wkNmJqd9-RSYNrtWV_ywAUM405gkWhiMVA-lv-SuZ5vXtqatFmZuxGfHyXIbY8Sk7C7v6bg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Ghe- appears to mean in the Sky

celestial, heavenly, of the above world

> as the deity beside him is Ghevengus
> > where Veng is described elsewhere as the God of Avilry. So Ghelotralas
> > means something like Lodril in the Sky or Star Lodril and is a name for
> > Star-12 or the Pit.
> >
> > IMO the Pelandan equivalent is possibly Dabur, the son of ViSaruDaran
> > who was filled with the Power of Above.
>
> All this sounds plausible to me - good analysis! The bit that caused
> me to wonder about this is from the Entekosiad (p104) which says of
> Natha's Well that "We now know this is the actual place where the
> first Pole was rubbed. This is Glorantha's Quail. This is where
> Ghelotralas landed when he brought spirit to matter. Here earth was
> penetrated. From here, Idojartos sprang. On Ancestor Day, they flow
> from this place to all Pelanda."
>
> So... This seems to mean that Natha's Well is where "Lodril in the
> Sky" came down to the earth as per the solar three brothers myth
> becoming Lodril, Earth god.

Now you are starting to get it.
This the place where the first spirit inhabited the first matter and began Life. (as they knew it)

A couple of things to remember: An entity can, and several do, appear several times on the God Wall
Ol' Plentonius had some serious prejudices, and also just some misinformation, about some of those entities. I find his list of Yelm's parts pretty suspect, and the farther we go from the I-3, to whom Plentonius is the "Obedient Student," the less correct the information is.

Some Gods Wall entities appear to have runes as heads. the circle/head/face is meaningless as a rune

Pelanda and DH are identical twins that are different. One is big and strong and shouts, the other is small and makes nice things. But they are the same.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer