Re: Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes - adjusting the scenarios to the presence of flying PCs

From: Rick <rmeints_at_aH2VPoHnu4o8b_SKrkZEEyj_4gk1Q9McVZOV8V7Z4gtuMQGu0ER0wRj6nC8gWSmDOioB>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:44:18 -0000

Here is what I recommended in my Tales 19 article on the Marsh:

Some people may be tempted to easily fly over most of the Marsh to avoid the arduous and perilous journey on foot, but the reality of doing so is fraught with peril. Most carrion feeding birds are driven off by the creepy nature of the swamp. Flying over the mist is easy, but seeing anything on the ground is very rare. Most living creatures, even semi-intelligent ones, will refuse to fly down into the mist. A number of Delecti’s strongest zombies have had their powers of flight magically restored. Their tactics are simple; disable any airborne intruder to the point they crash into the Marsh below. Thus, they will always attack flying mounts first. Delecti has been known to use his aerial servants, particularly his Harpies, if a ground invasion would benefit from a little air support as well. Anyone flying over the Marsh has a 75% percent chance of an encounter every 10 minutes (2 turns). Once an encounter has happened, Delecti will decide what else he sends to intercept the intruders.

NOTE to GMs: I would find it very anti-climactic if a party of flying adventurers could just swoop down unopposed into one of Delecti’s ruins on a hit and run mission. Granted, once they were there they would be in for a very warm reception. Undead guards are never caught asleep...

My suggested aerial encounters:
Wyvern Zombies
Pterodactyl Zombies
Griffin Zombies
Harpies (not undead)

If your heroes can shrug those off, try one of Delecti's unique creations: The Half-Gorgon, the Skeletal Bronze Dream Dragon, Seeker the Skybull, or (for those with more masteries than sense) Aeon the undead Roc with stitched on crossbowman.

Besides why fly? Getting there is half the fun...