Re: Nice Anybody?

From: Jeff <richaje_at_oFoQ5RX2k6uP84D48KqSUmTz32T9d2YdmXCdxou3HxLNyEK9UAgl2B3Aa88Ot6igok6v>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:07:29 -0000

> > I used to think Sartarites were a downtrodden people deserving of release
> > from the Lunar/Tarshite shackles, but on reading BoS they are just a bunch
> > of ignorant/illiterate barbarians.

Illiterate perhaps (although the Lhankor Mhy cult IS one of the most literate groups in all of Glorantha and their libraries are the envy of many other peoples), but certainly not ignorant. The Orlanthi know their traditions (which are VERY old and established during the era between the Unity Battle and the Dawn), know how to interact with the Other World for their benefit and survival, and are aware of all the Elder Races as a type of people (and not purely as monsters to be killed on sight - which is more the norm for human cultures).

> So, yeah, the Sartarites are a
> bunch of uphills hicks who are appallingly ignorant and violent, fractious,
> hide-bound, and generally nasty. Or they can be the last voice of Freedom,
> people preserving a sacred way of life that extends back to before the Dawn,
> fierce in defense of their traditions. Or, you could play it somewhere in
> the middle, with young Sartari finding the world outside of Dragon Pass and
> wanting to bring the benefits back with tehm only to have tor struggle to
> first get acceptance and then to keep teir new knowledge from corrupting
> what they value.

All perfectly right.

> Similarly, Lunars can be insane Chaos-worshipping invaders, well-meaning but
> deluded "occupiers," or the bearers of a New Truth that will wash away the
> mistakes of the Old World (and, with luck, not make any mistakes of their
> own). And the Malkoni and the Uz and the Praxians and the... well, you get
> the idea.

Yes. If your theme is about ordered, strictly hierarchical societies with lots of peaceful peasants ruled by an educated elite, the Orlanthi are definitely not for you. They are a "heroic" people, at home with the heroes of Illiad, Beowulf, the Tain Bo Cualnge, or the Volsungsaga. They are fated to fight against the Doom of the World (having done so with the Unity Battle, the Gbaji Wars, the Evil Empires, and now the Red Goddess). Absolutely loyal to their kinfolk and their oaths, respectful of women and their magic (remember, the Orlanthi hold Ernalda to be the most important magical being in Glorantha), the Sartarite idea of the good life is to have lands and herds that can support you, your kin, your friends, and your supporters without the need for overlords you do not choose.

Jeff