RE: Re: Nice Anybody?

From: Sean Foster <ebaninth_at_OJ-qgTp0QUg2ScVdsHW2-7H4OXvejEwhiZk6ShdBJT02GKXvJs4eFnjChaFqHEPZzY_>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 02:32:16 +0800

>...Lhankor Mhy cult IS one of the most literate groups in all of Glorantha and their libraries are the envy of many other peoples.

But, they still have done their people a disservice. They could have _choosen_ to educate them (gotten a super education system going) instead of hording the information for themselves for their own self interest.

> The Orlanthi know their traditions (which are VERY old and established
during the era between the Unity Battle and the Dawn), know how to interact with the Other World for their benefit and survival, and are aware of all the Elder Races as a type of people (and not purely as monsters to be killed on sight - which is more the norm for human cultures).

A lot of Myth seems to been associated with places of power (The starting point of the LBQ - name escapes me). The "Sartarites" fled their own countries oppression - King Colymar, Tarsh Exiles* - and moved into a land of Great (unknown/forgotten) Legend. They would have known practically nothing about it - all the 'Orlanthi' people who did know had been annihilated**. Blood of Orlanth (Mongoose) stuff - lost. Zip. Zilch.

They would have had to start from scratch, so they should be pretty primitive in understanding their lands History/Myth - given they are all ignorant barbarians. I cannot see this fact helping then catch up millienia of knowledge about the Dragon Pass region.

> Absolutely loyal to their kinfolk and their oaths,

Great, that's 3 other warriors to help fight the Beryl Phalanx Regiment - At those odds it is almost going to be a fair fight. Heroic (& deluded) yes.

>...Sartarite idea of the good life is to have lands and herds that can support you, your kin, your friends, and your supporters without the need for overlords you do not choose.

That will help them against the crater makers.

> hide-bound, and generally nasty. Or they can be the last voice of Freedom,
> people preserving a sacred way of life that extends back to before the
Dawn***,
> fierce in defense of their traditions. Or, you could play it somewhere in

//All perfectly right.

No*** see ** Why do the Sartarites seem to hold the great history of the Orlanthi people, they moved away from the Heortland/Tarsh area and are just a group of new'ish tribes/clans, none (I suspect) with a long history back to the dawn.

As before, I'd really like a little more in their cultural skill set to help. I know they will have individual heros, but all individuals have communities of support. It just seems that the Glowline, Rokari Counties or Dara Happan City's would provide better 'support' (+w's) than a collection of sartarite hillbillies - maybe their moonshine works like PCP or Getafix's magic potion?

If Sartar had a cultural skill set like say Sparta, yes I can see them going somewhere. If the Aolians/Esvularians held special secrets from Arkat himself [the only copy of that Arkat book um Dream lands or some such], yes then I could see them going somewhere. But at the moment they are being attacked by Tarshites - who should be very familiar with Orlanthi and Enaldan magic - and should get soundly thrashed when-ever/if-ever they lift their heads.

Cheers

Sean

PS

I really see Sartarites as a lot more literate/educated than anybody seems to give them credit for. I can only see this sort of trait giving them a chance against the Lunars - but then again there is always Dragon Pass Deus Ex Machina