Nice Anybody?

From: Sean Foster <ebaninth_at_8WE_F24GHPIXat5PUlfYxM8VKO2uxEFMGansZlzBQuUYGlrUs0RqVnteK5_Ibk-IFcT>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:23:48 +0800

➢ That seems fair enough, but the question arises: if you need that sort of thing in your story, who *is* a good choice?

I used to think Sartarites were a downtrodden people deserving of release from the Lunar/Tarshite shackles, but on reading BoS they are just a bunch of ignorant/illiterate barbarians. Its 1600, surely all of Maniria has developed a little higher technology and/or cultural sophistication - it is a cross-roads of trade. The Sartarite/Hendriki tribes/clans seem prefer raiding each other, there seems to be no real law between tribes and very little between clans. They are a disappointment. BoS seems to read 0 - 5th Century (think Asterix the Gaul) but there in the 1600's - not withstanding two ages ending with WMD's.

I had always assumed Sartarites had high levels of literacy and, when coordinated by that Argrath (pick 1 of 7), they will be able to coordinate and beat off Lunars. Sort of like the 15-18th Century Zaporozhian (Ukranian) Cossacks [except on foot :], considered a well-educated people ahead of several Eastern and Western European countries in terms of literacy. They need something special to give them an edge, rather than the Deus Ex-machina that is Dragon Pass.

These days I simply don’t care about the Sartarites. How can this bunch of illiterate thugs win the Hero Wars? The Lunars are a highly organized empire, with high level magic and magical research (probably approaching similar levels to the GL's) and well equipped and coordinated military - even if they suffer 'internal' strife. Why would (just) Tarsh want to ever give up the income stream coming from there simple, ignorant high mountain cousins?

I realize the HQ game is pulling away from the 80's style Runequest, when your adventurer could wanderer around Sartar and over to Pavis. Urgg(sp?) the Ugly with his 90,000(?) Wheels on a Mule train - this does not seem possible anymore, as any tribal area you cross will more than likely think you look funny and make you a slave.

Anyway, who IS a good choice? A Tarshite Lunar Idealist? Sell me that Sartarites are a cut above the rest...

I'm thinking the Lunars and Sartaries need a bit of a makeover. Clean a bit of the fecal matter off the faces of the Satarites, and give the Lunars more "Prima Nocte" and similar practices. The Lunars should be wanting the ethically cleanse Sartar - especially due to the Deus Ex-machina of Dragon Pass throughout history. They must have been receiving unfavorable auguries about the threat of Sartar prior to 1602, as well as now, due to the impending Herowars.

I am always coming back the scene from the Life of Brian when thinking of Lunars vs Sartarites..."All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?" This doesn't _have_ to ring so true.

Sean